Chlorine Dioxide Gas Detectors (ClO2 Detectors)

ClO2Chlorine dioxide (ClO2) is an anthropogenic gas, which means that it cannot be found naturally. Chlorine dioxide is most commonly used in bleaching processes of pulp, flour, and textiles, and in drinking water sanitation. The gas is highly flammable and reactive, and poses both a fire and explosion hazard. Industrial Scientific offers the GasBadge® Pro personal single-gas detector and the MX6 iBrid® personal multi-gas detector as popular gas monitors to keep workers safe in areas where chlorine dioxide gas may be present, including confined spaces, where explosive concentrations of the gas may accumulate.

Related Gas Detectors - Chlorine Dioxide

Chlorine Dioxide - CLO2

 

Hazard:

Flammable 

Will not explode

Classification:

Health 

Extremely toxic

 

Oxidizing 

Oxidizing agent

Synonyms:

Anthium Dioxide, Chlorine Oxide, Chlorine Peroxide

Exposure limits:

(OSHA)

PEL\TWA: 0.1 ppm

 

(ACGIH)

STEL: 3 ppm

 

(OSHA)

IDLH: 5 ppm

Industries:

Pulp and Paper Mills, Waste Water Treatment Plants

Chlorine Dioxide is a red-yellow or orange-green gas with an unpleasant irritating odor similar to chlorine and nitric acid. It is best known for its biocide and disinfectant properties. Can remain rather stable in the dark but can become very unstable in the light. Chlorine Dioxide will react or form an explosive compound if exposed to a spark, impact, sunlight or rapid heating of up to 100°C. Chlorine Dioxide may also react with carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, mercury, and some nonmetals as well. ClO2 combined with water will form hydrochloric acid, and it has a very strong irritating effect on the upper respiratory tract.

Effects of Various CLO2 Levels

Chlorine Dioxide Level in PPM

Resulting Conditions on Humans

.1

Odor threshold and Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL).

.25

Worsen exciting mild respiratory ailments.

.3

Short Term Exposure Level (STEL).

5

Marked irritation occurs of the respiratory tract.
Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health (IDLH).

>5

Irritation of the eyes, nose and throat; cough; wheezing; shortness of breath; bronchitis; pulmonary edema; headache; vomiting.

Source: American Industrial Hygiene Association

Request Information